Saturday, January 17, 2015

Ask an Entomologist

People who know I studied insects often have questions regarding the insects in their lives. Even in the blur of my busy mom-existence I enjoy trying to help put names on the bugs we find. 

My uncle encountered a small leaf hopper in his kitchen and sent me a text complete with photos of the beast. Usually, I don't know what the bug is exactly, but with a good description or even better a photo, I know how to identify the family or at least make a good guess (there are at least a million species of insect out there!!) bug guide is one of my go-to sites. I proceeded to exchange a series of texts regarding the amusingly named "fluffy bum" leaf hopper.


The picture he sent of the Fluffy bum Scolypopa australis

Most people simply want to know if their bug is dangerous, what it is, and what it eats. My cousin had a more dramatic visit with a large beetle which crash landed in her ceramics studio. She sent me a text with photo to identify. Though intimidating, this stag beetle is harmless enough, though it can bite if handled. She wisely confined it under a glass for documentation. Most adult insects don't eat much since they do all their growing as nymphs and larvae.


Probably Lucanus capreolus - Reddish-brown Stag Beetle

It always makes me feel useful to help others with their insect queries. I love solving day to day mini-mysteries and the identification process is good practice and keeps my skills from completely atrophying. 

If you have insect questions for me, please leave a comment, or leave a message or post on my Facebook page. I'll do my best to help you out! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wish i knew the story behind whoever named an insect fluffy bum...