Friday, January 30, 2015

Birding

Ornithology, or at least bird watching, seems to go well with Entomology. At least it does for me, and I know quite a few fellow entomologists who are also bird enthusiasts. I'd consider myself a bird lover for sure. I had parakeets and chickens growing up, and they were definitely among my favorite pets. In college I learned how to "watch birds" with a guide and binoculars, looking for field marks and enjoying building a collection of sightings.


A Western Scrub Jay (Davis, California, 2012) 

Like so many other things in my life, birding has been somewhat curtailed lately, taking a backseat to parenting duties. But I do have a stocked bird feeder with suet cakes and a thistle sock outside the window where I sit with my napping baby. I even happened to snap a few bad pictures through said window. Winter is so much better with birds around to watch.

Here is my list so far this winter:


 Chickadee. The first to show up usually, cute, tiny and quick - hard to get a picture of.


Junco. Hangs out on the ground with the sparrows and in the cypress.


Cardinal male. Females are around as well


Tufted titmouse. Hangs out with Juncos and Chickadees


White breasted nuthatch. This guy is my favorite. Loves the suet cake.


Carolina wren. Greedy little beast.



White-throated Sparrow. They love to hop around under the cypress but sometimes go to the feeder.


Red bellied woodpecker male and female (not pictured)


Purple finch. Very territorial, won't let anyone eat while he's there.



Goldfinch. They love the thistle sock, and showed up almost as soon as I put it up! (males with winter plumage, can't wait for the bright yellow to return!)


Red-winged blackbird female. There were about a dozen females all foraging through the lawn. It was a little embarrassing how long it took me to figure out what they were...




Downy woodpecker male and female.


 A little group shot


Drama!

Not pictured: Blue jay, House finch, Yellow bellied sapsucker male, Hermit thrush, House Wren.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wrote an article about those blackbirds so I recognize them if I hadn't done that I wouldn't have a clue. Live all the pictures. And the words!

Unknown said...

Those woodpeckers shots are just begging to be turned into Christmas Cards. :)

Unknown said...

We've seen the first few in my mom's backyard! Jonathan spotted a great horned owl last week and recorded the sound! Birding is a hoot! 😜

Unknown said...

I miss the scrub jays from Davis! Such a huge assortment of species in St. Mary's